After several years of consultation, the Food Standards Code released the P1044 Plain English Allergen Labelling (PEAL) standard with new requirements for labelling allergens on February 25, 2021. One of the major changes implemented to the new standard is the allergen information in both the Ingredient Statements and also a mandatory Allergen Summary Statement.
PLAIN ENGLISH ALLERGEN LABELLING CHANGES
The aim of the PEAL Changes is to make it quicker and easier for consumers to find and understand allergen information on food labels.
The updated PEAL Allergen Statements requirements mean that allergen information must be declared:
- in a specific format and location on the food label
- in simple, plain English terms (using specified required names for the allergen source, detailed in schedule 9 of the Food Standards Code)
- with a co-located allergen summary statement beginning with the word “Contains”
- in bold font in both the ingredient list and in the summary statement
Here is an example Ingredient Statement and Allergen Summary Statement with the “Before” information and then the “After” with the new PEAL changes applied.
Want to learn more about Plain English Allergen Labelling (PEAL) ?
I have put together a FREE Quick Start Guide to Plain English Allergen Labelling to make it easier for you to navigate through this Food Standard and the PEAL changes. Download it here.
Wanting to know more about Plain English Allergen Labelling?
I’m launching a brand new PEAL course soon to help you with this! Make sure you sign up to my Waitlist to be the first to know when it is launches. Sign up here!
Check out also our previous PEAL blog posts.
- Ten Essential Criteria For Plain English Allergen Labelling (PEAL) for Australia & NZ
- The 9 Tree Nut Allergens for PEAL
- 4 Resources You Need For Plain English Allergen Labelling
- 12 Major Food Allergens for Australia & New Zealand
This is general information rather than regulatory advice. We, therefore, recommend you seek further advice that takes into account your particular ingredients, products, processing, packaging and other circumstances before making commercial decisions for your business.